Episode Thumbnail
Episode 86  |  31:59 min

FDA Plans to Modernize 510(k) - Is the Sky Falling?

Episode 86  |  31:59 min  |  11.07.2019

FDA Plans to Modernize 510(k) - Is the Sky Falling?

00:00
00:00
This is a podcast episode titled, FDA Plans to Modernize 510(k) - Is the Sky Falling?. The summary for this episode is: Have you heard the news? FDA caused quite a stir when it recently announced transformative changes that will modernize its 510(k) program to improve the safety and effectiveness of medical devices. But as we all know, the more things change, the more they stay the same. If you dive deep into FDA’s statement, you’ll realize that there’s probably not a lot that’s different. In this episode, Mike Drues, of Vascular Sciences, and I offer an initial reaction to these changes. Some of the highlights of the show include: ● 10-Year Rule: Policy that a 510(k) can’t use a predicate that’s greater than 10 years old. ● Root cause for this policy may be due to recent news of medical devices gone bad and the challenge of predicate creep with 510(k)s. ● Regulation states that to have a successful 510(k), you need a predicate; it doesn’t state a limitation for the age of the predicate. ● It should be up to the medical device professional to decide which predicate would be the best to use - no matter if it’s 1, 10, or 40 years old. ● Twenty percent of 510(k)s reference a predicate greater than 10 years old. This is a solution for 20%, not the other 80%. ● There’s been past movements for alternative and abbreviated 510(k) pathways. So, nothing really new or revolutionary with FDA’s statement. ● FDA wants manufacturers to develop newer and better technologies than what’s currently available. But should “better” be a part of a 510(k)? It’s an oxymoron. ● If new device increases or creates new risks than a predicate, can’t be a 510(k) - but this is not usually enforced and de novos are sometimes pursued.
Have you heard the news? FDA caused quite a stir when it recently announced transformative changes that will modernize its 510(k) program to improve the safety and effectiveness of medical devices. But as we all know, the more things change, the more they stay the same. If you dive deep into FDA’s statement, you’ll realize that there’s probably not a lot that’s different. In this episode, Mike Drues, of Vascular Sciences, and I offer an initial reaction to these changes. Some of the highlights of the show include: ● 10-Year Rule: Policy that a 510(k) can’t use a predicate that’s greater than 10 years old. ● Root cause for this policy may be due to recent news of medical devices gone bad and the challenge of predicate creep with 510(k)s. ● Regulation states that to have a successful 510(k), you need a predicate; it doesn’t state a limitation for the age of the predicate. ● It should be up to the medical device professional to decide which predicate would be the best to use - no matter if it’s 1, 10, or 40 years old. ● Twenty percent of 510(k)s reference a predicate greater than 10 years old. This is a solution for 20%, not the other 80%. ● There’s been past movements for alternative and abbreviated 510(k) pathways. So, nothing really new or revolutionary with FDA’s statement. ● FDA wants manufacturers to develop newer and better technologies than what’s currently available. But should “better” be a part of a 510(k)? It’s an oxymoron. ● If new device increases or creates new risks than a predicate, can’t be a 510(k) - but this is not usually enforced and de novos are sometimes pursued.

More Episodes

How Mindset Training Can Help Your Team Operate at Peak Performance

Examining the HHS Proposal for Premarket Notification Exemptions

Crash Course on Greenlight Guru Academy: How Medical Device Professionals Stay Ahead

Building your Brand as a Medical Device Professional

Understanding the Value of a Medical Device Guru

Meet a Guru: Etienne Nichols